
On our field trip to the Midway contemporary Art place,
I found many Pieces that I really liked,but the one that stood out the most to me
was Larry Clarks "Tulsa". They were the pictures of the heroin addicts on the wall all
in black frames. I was so fond of them, because it was like the kind of life that people turn
their backs on and just ignore. Its one of the ugly things in life that noone cares about, but
its REAL LIFE and that is what makes it so good. It tells a story and i felt like you just had to
wander back and forth through the pictures to figure out where the next part of the story started and I feel like there were just multipul "mini-stories" inside the bigger picture of things. I was just so simply amazing to see the good old american dream gone so utterly wrong laied out for you in black and white.
above are just 2 of the many pictures. (taken by google)
As much as i loved most of the art work that was in the exibit, I did find my fair share of ones I did not like, Ken Prices "untitled" is about a fist sized black and red abstract ceramic figure. I
did not like this piece of art work because it had no meaning. It was too abstract and looked like it took no effort or talent to make. Unfortunatly I surfed the internet and I found out that he has a number of pieces of art that are named "untitled". Also, through further investigation of his art work, more of his ceramic figure/sculptures are very similar. I just did not enjoy the sight of his art work, or the fact that it did have any story or meaning, the name of it gave me that particular vibe.
Sam
Nice description of the Clark photos, Sam. Now about Price's work having 'no meaning'...does anything here remind you of our discussion of Modernist art? (Emphasis on formal elements, absence of inherent narrative, etc.)
ReplyDelete